Thursday, 19 August 2010
Finally finished and posted Dinosaur to Glorious Grandson. Hopefully the swearing and general irritability incurred when I couldn't get the legs right won't be sewn into every stitch.
I got the basic pattern from the net, tho really it was kind of common sense scrawled on some newspaper. But the original had the legs as two blocks and I thought it might confuse the Talented Genius at the other end, so I struggled mightily to produce 4 separate appendages.
Who knew it would prove so difficult, no wonder on the Seventh day She rested, I found creating very dispiriting.
Fortunately I have oodles of purple felt so can now chuck all the scraps of failure with a clear conscience [mostly, obviously I was bought up to save string and wrapping paper etc.]
Hopefully the hand stitching, which was more fun, will be strong enough to withstand the full five minutes of attention before GG goes on to something that makes a noise.
He is very taken with Dinosaurs tho. When we Skype he has the book to hand with a pic of different dino for every letter of the alphabet. Quite useful for maintaining contact with limited vocabulary at the mo.
Other projects have not flown along, tho it isn't the legs in this case.
I have added a table line and a fallen petal to balance the design, but once I stretched it the lines I had endured much fury trying to get straight have wavered some what.
Ma-in-law donated an abandoned print for the frame, so maybe the unusually minimalist design is a reflection of her restrained relationship avec moi. I notice one of the petals i upside down too, damn.
This effort is supposedly Green Woman as opposed to Man. I have no idea how to move it forward.
We were going to see a textile exhibition at Hyde Hall [RHS] today, until I noticed it doesn't start until the w/e. Life is stuck in the slow lane/lay-by/.......garage.